Accommodation Options Available after House Repossession

If an outright possession order has already been made and the warrant for possession is about to be executed against your home, then you should start looking for options for alternative accommodation without any delay. As pointed out in earlier blogs, even at this point there are many options available to stop repossession of your house, but you should embrace the fact that eviction is imminent. There are short-term as well as long-term accommodation options possible for people facing eviction, and it is important to seek advice in time to get required help.

If you’re planning to move to a rented place, then it’s possible to claim housing benefit that will pay all or part of your rent. The amount you’ll get will depend on variables such as your income, amount of rent, benefits you’re already claiming, etc. To be eligible for housing benefit: you must live in the accommodation you’re claiming benefit on; must have low income or claiming benefits; and your savings must be less than a specific level. You can apply for this benefit irrespective of your employment status. It’s important to mention here that Universal Credit will replace housing benefit (and many other benefits too) by the end of 2017.

Your local council by law has the responsibility to provide help in case you are or about to be homeless. Duration for which you may get accommodation is contingent on various factors. There are many situations when you’ll be put on a priority list for emergency accommodation which include: have children living with you, have physical/learning disability or mental health problems, being pregnant, an elder etc. If the council finds that you are intentionally homeless, you’ll only get short-term accommodation (mostly for 28 days). Two other options that worth consideration include supported housing and living in a housing co-op.

No comments yet.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.